Do you have what it takes to be one of the Test Labs team?
We are looking for people who challenge themselves, to set goals, and go above and beyond what is strictly required of them in their role, to achieve these.
Our people passionately strive for excellence which you will see in their careful attention to detail. We are inquisitive and we like to understand, not just for the sake of more knowledge but to fuel our innovation in new products, services, and solutions for our customers. We call this resourcefulness, and a sense that perfection is only just good enough.
We believe that for you to enjoy success in your work, you must apply energy and focus to the tasks you have to do every day. We like to give you the opportunity to stretch yourself beyond your natural ‘comfort zone’ in the knowledge that you will be guided by your inner principles to do the right thing by the business, your colleagues and our customers.
Our core values: Hungry, Humble, Smart are at the heart of what we do and are easier to feel than to talk about. Show us these and we will enjoy having you on the team at Test Labs!
What do we do?
A one of a kind, UKAS Accredited medical device testing facility, Test Labs work with medical device manufacturers providing expertise in clinical evaluation and reprocessing validation providing clients with tailored, highly customised solutions.
What are we looking for in this position?
To support the growth of the category by providing mechanical design, engineering expertise, and hands-on prototyping support for the current product range and new product development program.
What will you do?
- Maintain and oversee the makerspace (workshop), ensuring tools and equipment are available and properly maintained.
- Build proof of concept and pre-production prototypes, incorporating feedback from design and engineering teams.
- Provide engineering insights and feedback to enhance prototype designs and functionalities.
- Offer prototyping advice and utilise various methods including 3D printing.
- Collaborate closely with industrial, mechanical, hardware, and software engineers during the design process.
- Read and interpret drawings and build instructions accurately for prototype assembly.
- Proficiently work with CAD files, particularly Solidworks, to modify and refine prototype designs.
- Manage stock and assess parts against drawings to ensure accurate assembly.
- Oversee the product from the early stages to full manufacture, including prototype iterations.
- Reactive resolution of any mechanical issues, providing engineering solutions.
- Liaise with third-party suppliers for prototyping materials and services.
- Actively participate in cross-functional new product development processes.
- Proactively contribute improvements to product design based on prototyping insights.
- Project managing design packages for new products, considering prototyping timelines.
- Adherence to the company management systems and QHSES responsibilities as defined within the ‘overview and context of the organisation’ document.
What will you need to have and do?
- Always represent our Core Values: Hungry, Humble, Smart
- Strong IT skills, including experience with MS Office.
- Demonstrate a high level of attention to detail in both design and prototype assembly.
- Ability to prioritise workload and work to tight deadlines while managing both design and prototyping tasks.
- Critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with a hands-on approach.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal, for collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate closely with industrial, mechanical, hardware, and software engineers.
- Ability to work in, and adapt to, a rapidly changing environment.
- Confidentiality in handling sensitive data, particularly related to prototypes and pre-production designs.
- Essential – Formal training in mechanical engineering.
- Essential – Practical experience in design & engineering for manufacture and assembly.
- Essential – Knowledge of UK & European safety standards, ideally global safety standards.
- Essential – Specification and verification document creation.
- Essential – Good working knowledge of 3D CAD Systems.
- Desirable – Formal training in Solidworks.
- Desirable – Working knowledge of PDM / Vault system for data management.
- Desirable – Qualified to HNC / HND / degree level in mechanical engineering or a related discipline with a few years’ experience developing engineering designs for real-world applications.
- Desirable – Knowledge & experience in medical device manufacturing.
- Desirable – Experience of project managing product development from concept to end.
What will you get?
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Commitment to your Personal & Professional Development
- Contributory Pension
- Most of all you will be a part of the Test Labs Family, who are a team of motivated and inspiring individuals wanting to play their part in changing the industry and making a difference. Test Labs is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Ready to apply?
Does this role sound like you? Are you the driven, resourceful type who goes above and beyond to get results? Then apply today!